Welcome to Elementary Band!
I am thrilled that you are interested in joining the band program here in Eastvale, CA!
I have the blessing of teaching all of the band students that attend the following schools: Clara Barton, Eastvale, Harada, Ronald Reagan, Rondo, Rosa Parks, and VanderMolen.
At the Elementary level, all students are introduced to the basics of music reading as well as how to play the first few notes on their instrument. All students will also gain an appreciation of music, learn determination through hours of practice, and experience what it is like to perform in a band.
(Performances have currently been placed on hold due to COVID-19, however, we have Zoom performances and recorded performances)
When Can I Join Band?
Band classes in Corona-Norco Unified are offered to 5th and 6th grade students. Beginning Band is the class for students starting a new instrument for the first time. In this class, the students will play songs in unison from their method book. Advanced Band is the class for students playing the same instrument for their second year. In this class, the students will play songs in unison from their method book as well as play band arrangements (sheet music songs) in a variety of styles.
To sign up for band for the 2021/2022 school year, please click here: Enrollment
- Enrollment begins July 19, 2021
- Classes begin August 3, 2021
How Will Learning Take Place?
Online vs. In-person instruction is still to be determined for the 2021/2022 school year. As of 4/22/21, all band instruction is still being taught online.
To learn more, please click here: Online Instruction
What Instruments Can I Play?
Flute, Clarinet, Alto Saxophone, Trumpet, Trombone, Bells (Mallet Percussion)
Supplies Needed for Band Class
2. Method Book: Sound Innovations for Making Music Matter, Book 1 (for the respective instrument)
- Flute - Cleaning cloth and rod
- Clarinet - Cleaning cloth, cork grease, mouth piece brush, #2 reeds
- Saxophone - Cleaning cloth, cork grease, mouth piece brush, #2 reeds, neck strap
- Trumpet - Valve oil, tuning slide grease, valve brush, mouth piece brush
- Trombone - Slide oil or grease, small spray bottle
4. A wire foldable music stand for home practice is highly recommended
SCSBOA Elementary Honor Band 2022
- Auditions dates: TBD
- If your child is taking private lessons and/or is progressing very quickly on their instrument, I highly encourage them to audition for the Southern California Elementary Honor Band. It is a wonderful opportinity and honor to perform in this group at the SCSBOA music educator's conference January 2022
- More information can be found here: https://www.scsboa.org/welcome-scsboa-honor-groups/
- Congrats to the following students for passing the audition and participating in these previous SCSBOA Elementary Honor Bands:
- 2019-2020 - Alexandre Hartling, Irwin Jung, Erin Liao
- 2018-2019 - Lindsay Young, Thomas Zhao
- 2017-2018 - Cameron Rhees, Hideo Rhees, Karlin Rhees, Carson Rhunke